Thursday 13 April 2017

The Hayters & Warsop

1. Hayters: had a comment on my tree that I'd got the birth and death of Ernest William Hayter. My reply to PH:
I hope you don't mind me writing to you about the comment you left on my family tree. I must apologise for the error and thank you for pointing it out. I've no doubt I've made lots of errors but people rarely write and correct them.

In my defence I obtained the date of death from 'Find a Grave Index':Ernest William Hayter, Birth Date: 1911, Death Date: 22 Jun 2003, Cemetery: St Mary Churchyard, Burial or Cremation Place: Portchester, Fareham Borough, Hampshire, England. Is the rest of the information correct?

The birth date came from the Civil Registration death Index: Ernest William Hayter, Birth Date 12 Sep 1911, Date of Registration Jun 2005, Age at Death 93, Registration district Andover, Inferred County Hampshire, Register Number 38A, District and Subdistrict 490/1, Entry Number 76. The date of death is correct but the birth date is wrong.

To make matters worse the Civil Registration Birth Index is also wrong. The entry reads: Name Ernest William Hayter, Mother's Maiden Name Saunders
Registration Year 1911, Registration Quarter Oct-Nov-Dec, Registration district, Inferred County Hampshire, Volume 2b, Page 1033
If you look at the page there is no entry for such a person. So it would appear that unless there is more than your father with the name Ernest William Hayter there are a catalogue of errors; two in the Civil Registration Index!

Could I ask if you have found any other errors ? And is this the family that the lawnmower manufacturer Hatyers is named after?

Thanks again for pointing out the error

Reply from PH:
Hello N, I make hundreds of mistakes. EWH was born on the 12/09/1912. He died when he was 93 in Andover hospital. He was cremated and his ashes were interred with his parents Fanny Saunders and Alfred Ernest Hayter in the graveyard at Portchester Castle. I haven't found any other errors. I am not absolutely sure that the Hayter lawnmower people are ours , they probably are but the Hayter's had numerous children so,it is hard to know, my Hayter line started out by making carts and wheelbarrows, they used to have an exhibit in the museum in Fareham, then they sold bicycles and after that cars. Kind Regards. PH

2. Warsop: Now rationalised all the BBM data available for Warsop pre 1837. Will be on line over the weekend. Need a couple more sessions in the archives as I've only completed to 1637

No comments:

Post a Comment